Thursday, September 22, 2011

Odds and ends, odds and ends...

...lost time is not found again!

A little more than a year and a half ago (and my, how time does fly) I was at the culminating four day Field Training Exercise (FTX) at Basic Combat Training in Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Pretty much everyone in the platoon (the company, the battalion?) had been dreading it, because it was extremely cold and we knew we'd be sleeping in tents and doing some kind of BS all day, every day. We got the living crap smoked out of us the first night, in the sand, so that was a rocky start. Even before we got there, I was dreading it, and I was pretty sure the four days would never end.

As it happened, the four days went by pretty quickly, and when we finished, I thought, "Wow, I thought this day would never get here, and here I am, at the end of FTX." My immediate next thought was this: I'm going to die someday. Someday, I will be thinking, "Wow, I thought this day would never get here, and here I am, at the end of my life."

It was kind of an unsettling feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment