Thursday, March 3, 2011

Last week in Buenos Aires

I'm down to my last six days here in Buenos Aires. Usually, as I get closer and closer to leaving, I just get increasingly more sad. This time around I have pretty mixed feelings, but only because of other decisions I've made. Up until a few days ago, I was just experiencing the usual sensation of dreading the return to New Mexico. However, since I've decided to move back to Maine rather than stay in Albuquerque, I'm feeling a lot better about leaving Buenos Aires (thought still very sad).

Yesterday was overall a very good day for me. It started off a little rocky, because I have been eating like crap, and being extremely lazy with my exercise routine (comparatively lazy, at least) and was pretty disappointed with myself. As easy as it is to say, "Well, look, you're on vacation, you're taking advantage of the time you have to do other things, and eat the kind of stuff you can't get in the states", I am all too aware of how easy it is to get f-a-t FAT again, so I decided to move my ass over to the park for a run. It was meant to be an "easing back into things" 5-miler (the round trip walk to the park, at about 5.5 miles, was going to be an added bonus). As it turns out, I ended up running my fastest ever five miles. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll take it. It's a good sign of things to come, I hope.

After the run, I went over to Recoleta Cemetery to take some photos. I was mostly interested in the statues, and anything else that might catch my eye. One picture, in particular, came out pretty nice, I think. I wasn't sure whether or not it would, but have a look for yourself:



The sun was right behind the statue's head, and I couldn't tell if it was going to look very good when I took the photo, but I think it's interesting.

Tomorrow I'm going to do another photo-project. I don't know if you all know, but Buenos Aires not only has the widest street in the world (9 de Julio) but also the longest (Rivadavia). A couple years ago I walked the length of Rivadavia from where it starts (near the Plaza de Mayo) to the outermost edge of the capital (the street continues well into the province). It was stunning to see how much the city changed as I walked along, so tomorrow I'm planning on taking a photo of each block as I walk the 10 miles or so that the avenue runs here in the capital. Then, I'll try to figure out a way to display them that gives you that sense of spatial continuity (and, thereby, showing the change). Hopefully it turns out to be as interesting as I think it will. My German buddy, Benedict, is thankfully crazy enough to accompany me.

So, yes, I decided that, since I'm going to be waiting anywhere from 6 months to a year to start my new job, I might as well be unemployed and looking for work in lovely, idyllic Aroostook County, Maine in my own house, rather than unemployed in filthy, dirty Albuquerque renting an apartment and spending what little savings I have. The only upside to being in Albuquerque, I think, is a stronger job-market, but there are a few things I can do in Maine, and I really like the idea of settling into my own place for a year (I say my own place, but it really belongs to my mother, my brother, and me). I'm looking forward to growing some vegetables, fishing, continuing to work on the house with my brother, and just generally being "home" and near family. Just taking it easy, doing what I can for work to get by for a while, and then engaging with the big wide world again. Anyway, here's a picture of the house:



I can't wait for spring!

Anyway, gonna go now, more later. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment